FMG 1.75% $17.49 fortescue ltd

Iron ore price, page-7546

1. 928 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    https://www.********.au/2018/09/13/...es-sink-to-a-2-year-low-is-it-time-to-invest/

Earlier today the Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) share price continued its disappointing run and slid to a two-year low of $3.52.
    This meant the iron ore producer’s shares had lost approximately 40% of their value since this time last year.
    Fortescue’s shares have come under pressure during this time due to a widening discount on the low grade ore that it produces compared to the in demand high grade ore. This has been caused by Chinese steelmakers’ preference for high grade iron ore which is less polluting.
    Is now the time to invest?
    According to one leading broker, now could be a great time to pick up shares in the beaten down iron ore producer.
    A note out of the Macquarie Group Ltd (ASX: MQG) equities desk reveals that its analysts have an outperform rating on Fortescue’s shares.
    Although the broker has downgraded its first quarter shipping estimates for Fortescue after the record shipments in June were followed by softness in July and August, Macquarie continues to believe that its shares are significantly undervalued.
    Especially given how they are now trading at a level well below a spot price valuation despite recent improvements in low grade prices.
    According to the note, Macquarie has a price target of $4.80 on Fortescue’s shares. This implies potential upside of over 35% for its shares over the next 12 months.
    While this price target may seem like wishful thinking, it isn’t that unreasonable. Based on the broker’s estimate for earnings per share of approximately 40.4 cents in FY 2019, Fortescue’s shares are currently changing hands at under 9x estimated forward earnings.
    And if they were to reach this price target they would only be priced at a little under 12x forward earnings. I don’t believe this is overly demanding for Fortescue and it is still a reasonable discount to the shares of mining giant BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP).
    However, as tempting as this is, I’m not quite ready to take the plunge with Fortescue. But I’m certainly considering it.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$17.49
Change
0.300(1.75%)
Mkt cap ! $53.85B
Open High Low Value Volume
$17.34 $17.56 $17.13 $141.9M 8.137M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 286 $17.45

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$17.49 26714 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 17/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.