is 150k a lot or not?, page-63

1. 3,012 Posts.
    I don't agree with him saying turn aircons off even though I grew up in Perth without an aircon and my Mother has lifed in the same house for 40 years and has only just had one installed , but she rarely uses it.
    We should be building houses that don't need airconditioning.

"Pioneering WA architect Raymond Jones, who gave Perth its first backyard pools and thermally sensitive homes 50 years ago, wants a ban on air-conditioners in new houses.

Mr Jones's modernist-inspired innovations include cross-ventilation, open plan living, solar water heating, concrete slabs, kit homes for harsh North West conditions and pools to moderate a home's micro-climate.

Air-conditioning was unnecessary if houses were oriented and designed properly to suit Perth#39;s extreme temperatures, he said.

"The Persians were doing it in Persepolis 4000 years ago, so why can't we wake up here," he said.

He blamed Perth's ugly, impractical and unsustainable modern "McMansions" on the laziness and expediency of politicians, city planners and mass-marketed project homes."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/9114971/no-need-for-home-air-con-says-top-architect/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.