I was an AI/Robotics scientist for over 30 years in a major...

1. 11,627 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 523
    I was an AI/Robotics scientist for over 30 years in a major university and I am an AI skeptic.

They got nothing new and there is a big difference between predicting the next word, based on what is written on the internet, and what goes on in the brain of a human when we talk to each other.

The big thing that is missing in the chatbot is "common sense" and they have made no progress on that. That's the real reason why Sam Altman was sacked (temporarily) from OpenAI. They know without that no one will employ their bots.

Remember what happened when the banks and telcos outsourced their call centres to Malaysia and India? How do you reckon the telcos and banks would go with all their customers talking to chatbots who can't tell you any more than a google search, and often get things wrong? If they did that, a new word would quickly enter the English dictionary => "chatbot-rage".

Humans do not work well with robots because humans do not trust robots when their safety and welfare is concerned. Attempts to put robots in mines with humans have all failed. The automation talked about in the mining industry today is not robotics, it's just remotely controlled vehicles. We have learnt that a close interactive system (or workcell) can be "all human" or "all robot" but it can't be both.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.