LNC 0.00% 99.5¢ linc energy ltd

is a linc share really being valued at $4.03?

1. 568 Posts.
    "Consideration for the US$50 million transaction will be entirely in Linc Energy scrip with LNC shares issued at AU$4.03 – representing greater than a 60% premium to current market price."

Wouldn't I be a bit naive to assume that the deal went something like this . . ?

Linc says, "We want to buy your company, how much do you want?"
    They say,"$60m, and not a dollar less"
    Linc then bargains them down to $50m.
    Linc says, "So that's $50m, but we'll pay you in shares, not cash, and the shares will be priced at $4.05, which is a 60% premium to the local market price.
    Oh, ok they say, sounds fine to us, since you're getting $1.5B from the Chinese soon, and being such a great company and all.

Isn't it more likely to have been something like this . .?

Linc says, We want to buy your company. We've valued it, looked at the market you're in, and know that you'd jump at $20m cash, so we'll offer you say $30m in LNC scrip at today's low price. But since we want to protect the perception of our share price, we'll actually offer you $50m in scrip at a notional value of a 60% premium to the prevailing price.

I haven't bothered to do the arithmetic to see if those numbers work out, but the basic idea is there. So the perception that some company is accepting a valuation of LNC at $4.05 a share, or that this implies any confidence by them in the Xinwen deal continuing to completion might be an illusion.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LNC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.