I also did trauma counselling and it helped enormously- though...

1. 22,971 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1271
    I also did trauma counselling and it helped enormously- though I have always wondered what would happen if I saw him walking down the road... And it does make a difference. However trauma counselling doesn’t mean you forget what happened

I'm not here to pick holes in your comments but from what I've read on this thread from you and a few others, plus your comments above it seems trauma counselling doesn't get one back on their feet, one could hit the deck again easily.

There's no end to the depths counselling can go... no end, it's a bit like the universe where the mind isn't capable of visualising how big it is so when does one say stop to counselling? They could dredge up things you haven't even thought of and just continue with this miserable experience forever! That's not helpful, 'cept to the pockets of the counsellor.

Kids have grown up in a family and an extended and close family including a decorated Nazi from WW2, soldiers and nurses from the Allies in WW2, Vietnam, family members captured (that's more common than you might think), a family member on one side of the protestant / catholic war in Northern Ireland who was murdered in the bloodshed but only after he got a few from the other side, haters of Jews, haters of catholics, haters of Germans, pre-arranged marriages, Scientology, household violence... Kids growing up, in and around family and exposed to conversations and behaviours from an assortment like that would drive what sort of behaviour in the future?? You could only guess but to those kids their families were normal, their school mates had similar families, and unless they did something extraordinary to bring their behaviour to the attention of authorities they just went about their lives at school and work and they developed relationships.

Their children's children would be affected too, but affected how??

These were normal familes for the times, have a look how many german communities popped up around Australia after the war, protestant and catholics came out here in droves. I think of my school mates, and mates in my 20's and 30's and they've all had weird shit happening in their families including breakups, breakdowns, normal but sad situations, that's life isn't it?

My long winded point is that everyone's lives are complicated and if you get a counsellor to dig, they can just keep digging and finding stuff that doesn't really matter and they can do this ad infinitum.

There has to be a point where a human being is capable of letting go themselves and not handing their own life and well being over to others, like counsellors. I strongly suspect those most vulnerable for a lifetime of counselling are over thinkers, maybe those who read and research too much. Counsellors, life coaches, religion and cults are all interchangeable and all as useless for mine.

People are wandering around oblivious to all these dreadful influences from their childhood or a little later in life, and are doing just fine, so why let a counsellor in on it, or terrorize yourself because you think you've been dealt a dud hand?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.