I've just read through this thread and don't quite understand...

1. Enn
    1,463 Posts.
    I've just read through this thread and don't quite understand the point of it.  Is it really to suggest that the BOM is in some conspiracy to manufacture fear in order to support the AGW hypothesis?  If so, it seems a bit insensitive toward all the people who have actually been affected.

I read some posts which suggested that nothing much has happened other than a few trees blown over.
    Have a look at these photos of homes destroyed:
    https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=photos of destroyed houses from Cyclone Marcia

There were people on ABC TV last night who had lost everything, one tough looking bloke in tears.

Then many people are going to be without electricity until the middle of next week, according to the Ergon spokesman.
    I just heard a woman on the radio saying her family was OK, they could survive on cold baked beans etc, but oh how she'd love a cup of tea.
    Fridges and freezers full of food all lost.  Not everyone has gas barbecue so no way of cooking.

I had ABC Local Radio on most of the time in the days before and during the cyclone.   Constantly the reports were how unpredictable Marcia was, how the strength was changing so often, as was its projected trajectory.

Seems to me BOM can't win.  If they alert people to the possibility of a very drastic event, at least that makes people take responsibility for making some preparations themselves.  Worst outcome?  A sense of relief that it didn't happen.
    That was certainly my feeling.
    And if they said "oh well, folks, it probably won't be much,. don't worry about it" and it had crossed the coast as a Cat5 I can just imagine the outcry about the inadequacy of the warning.

Let's just think about the people who have lost their homes or had them badly damaged, enduring hot conditions with no refrigeration, no cooling, and in some parts restricted water because the water treatment plant needs electricity to function and the power is out.

And maybe consider feeling a bit thankful that so many organisations like the SES are out there helping people, plus many volunteers.
    I know how I'd be feeling if my home had been destroyed.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.