CCL 0.00% $13.30 coca-cola amatil limited

is Coca Cola anything special for you?, page-11

1. 616 Posts.
    Ace11111

True, it's difficult to be hardline ethical in today's world. I do draw the line at water usage/abuse though.

quirindi

You make some very valid points.

Regarding woolies and coles. Well it's a multifaceted argument there. Whilst you're buying Aussie produce (which is good) from woolies/coles, you're also supporting the increasing bargaining power of the two chains. So much power that this price war has been bad for suppliers, yet so much power that a supply contract with the two (even indirectly) is imperative to remain a going concern. Not a good cycle for farmers (or CCL for that matter).

I'd be a liar if I said I don't shop there sometimes though.

Ironically, as the price war rages on (and more people shop at woolies/coles), more pressure is put on CCL to reduce costs (meaning more automation, job cuts, squeezing suppliers (or choosing suppliers that don't have heavy regulatory compliance costs <-- off shoring etc etc)).

Now in terms of multinationals providing jobs to third world nations, this may in part be true (and there are many cases where it is true). But if they are having a detrimental effect on many more people's livelihoods (not workers) than the positive effect they have on employment (such is the case in india), then it becomes a murky argument. I agree that governments are doing more damage (even by not having adequate regulations), however corporations should act responsibly (be proactive, not reactive), particularly in terms of water usage. This is where (imo of course), the line needs to be drawn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from holding CCL (or WOW, even shop there etc etc), and it's certainly a service to Australia buying SPC. My gripe isn't really related to CC's Australian operations, just one particular aspect of the group.

All imo.

Anyway here's an interesting doco:

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CCL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.