GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

A few months back I bought an old Mercedes as a project car, and...

1. 928 Posts.
    A few months back I bought an old Mercedes as a project car, and the guy accepted 1oz of gold as payment.

I also bought a broken laptop last year and paid 3oz silver.

I know my most people standards, gold isn't "money", but I personally like to place a value (sadly in $$$) on everything I own.

When I look at my car, clothes or TV, I know what they are worth (i.e, what I could sell them for right now). The issue is, that is a subjective price and likely to fluctuate when sale time comes.

When I look at my gold and silver, I can go and sit at my PC or grab my phone/tablet, and take a quick glance at my Kcast widget to know the exact amount in AUD I should place on that asset. That isn't a subjective price, as so long as it is during trading hours, I can have that amount in my hand within an hour by visiting the Mint.

To me, that makes gold money. I can't sell any of my other assets in that kind of short timeframe, nor at a definite price. Now I know I'm valueing it against fiat currency, but lets revisit the question - is gold money?

Doesn't matter how many dictionarys I look up, I keep finding this type of definition;

"Money is a good that acts as a medium of exchange in transactions. Classically it is said that money acts as a unit of account, a store of value, and a medium of exchange."

"A medium that can be exchanged for goods and services and is used as a measure of their values on the market"

"Something generally accepted as a medium of exchange, a measure of value, or a means of payment"

I've found my gold and silver has been accepted as a medium of exchange, and that medium of exchange can be quickly converted to a referencable amount of dollars should the holder choose to (during business hours of course, but cash also has that limitation, lets see you aquire $10,000 in cash outside bank trading hours).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.