Hi lomu,I agree , Indonesia does not have a military capable of...

1. 6,572 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 287
    Hi lomu,
    I agree , Indonesia does not have a military capable of threatening Australia at present.
    However , over the next couple of decades , that will change .
    Australia , because of its wealth and geography , should be perfectly capable of defending itself [ especially if it can stop the defense department doing what Welkin31 details] .
    Forget the deputy sheriff crap , forge regional alliances with neighbours like singapore, malaysia and indonesia.
    Our military , apart from forces needed to support the alliances above , should be configured to deny access to our north .

If we have a threat in the next 40 years it is more likely to be China than anyone else [ even that is unlikely , much cheaper to buy our stuff than take it].
    China a greater threat to Indonesia than us[ anyone happen to notice their attitude to religion].
    The militant Islam cry is a red herring, Indonesia our natural ally . I dont see the ultranationalists holding much sway in Indonesia in the future , and hence Timor and Irian Jaya not that big a deal.
    And conversely , if I am wrong , we are a Chinese quarry , China suddenly becomes our bff .
    Note , I don't think we should be relying on the US for much longer.
    Just because the orange one got the boot, doesn't mean there aren't lots of crazies lining up to take his place.

For those who take an interest in defense, you will probably recognize I am a Hugh White fan , it is worthwhile reading his stuff.
    cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.