is my husband an alcoholic?, page-7

1. asf
    9,887 Posts.
    Mazwegian, no-one is really going to be able to answer the question re your hubby being an alco. But I reckon you have to beak it down about what your fears are: you've mentioned potential liver trouble, but he can get that checked with a simple blood test. I had one of those general blood tests the other day- not a bad way to check out one's whole health.

So, it is healthy only that you'r worried about? Or is it you think he almost *must* be unhappy inside, deep down, if he has an addiction, and that he might be trying to "get away" in his own mind? Or is it that the word "alcoholic" is just so intrinsically a bad/shameful word, because we grew up thinking that way?

I reckon most people worry about alcohol in others- or themselves- when it has a bad effect on them- socially, emotionally, physically. I don't think all drinkers - even regular ones- are at risk of cancer (are they?) by the very fact of drinking, when it is known to have some health benefits. I reckon he'll probably start to tone it down if he feels sick from it, or puts on weight and loses his athletic physique, or some such thing- that's when people usually address "excessive" behaviours. But if he has regular health checks, he might just enjoy that plonk, and won't let anyone take his fun/relaxation/enjoyment from him! It's you who worries, though- not him. So you have to sort it out for yourself.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.