It’s a fair point Iwonder. Some people are doing 2 people’s...

1. 5,710 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 271
    It’s a fair point Iwonder. Some people are doing 2 people’s jobs, paid as over time, extra time or possibly unpaid. But for many roles it is not possible to quantify it that simply.

But ultimately where this is heading is to a wage of parity with our competitor countries. as well as working conditions. Theirs will rise as ours falls.

It has to be if globalisation(equalisation) is to be achieved.(Well, I am sure it would exclude the “elite”.)

However, business will adopt automation even further. Because business will always aim to cut costs.
    If a worker costs $1 per hour, they will strive to get a worker for 80c to get a competitive advantage. But if automation can do it for 30c an hr..........

These issues are just not being discussed at high levels publicly. Most people have their heads in the sand. We keep getting fed how wonderful technology, automation and globalisation is/will be. How long these changes will take, I have no idea. the ball has been rolling for quite some time now. I doubt we will see widespread general real wage increases for a very very long time in OZ if the current direction is continued locally and globally. By design IMO.

Last edited by Tangentland: 15/03/18

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.