Is Racism now in fashion?, page-12

1. 45,107 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    "once historic oppression has been countered all people should be viewed on their own merit". ..... of course bacci. once parity is achieved there remains no need for affirmative action. permanence is not a word that I think could be applied to this problem.

womens' parity with men on all terms of previous difference have been the work of govt and business for decades. do you think its time to stop work on equality yet?

Aboriginal people face many more difficulties achieving parity than women currently do. as such the effort needs be made by both sides of govt.

I doubt women will gain full parity in my remaining lifetime. how much longer will it take to get Aboriginal people to the same degree of equality?

there remain distinct differences in cultural values which leave cause for celebration. this shouldn't have a bearing on equality of opportunity though. I enjoy the celebrations of Indian, Chinese and Muslim cultural difference too. Chinese-heritage people are less disadvantaged than Aboriginal, Indian or Muslim people. they seem to be more assertive and capable of moving into better opportunities.

I've noted for many years the differences between men and women. women seem to me to be much more accepting of each other, they share problems and causes for celebration unlike men who bottle up much of our grievances and cheers. women are closer to other women and perhaps this is due to their shared historical oppression over millennia, perhaps due to the different hormonal and child-bearing abilities..... I have often had cause to envy women their closeness.

so there too is a "cultural difference". why not celebrate difference. a diverse community is much more balanced and healthy according to anthropological and other social sciences.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.