I hope Julie Bishop finds it in her heart to seek compensation...

1. 7,590 Posts.
    I hope Julie Bishop finds it in her heart to seek compensation for the families of those who died installing pink batts. I know from her history that she has struggled with the issue of compensating victims.

Julie Bishop defends bid to stop asbestos compo

December 03, 2007 12:00AM

DEPUTY Liberal leader Julie Bishop has defended her efforts to deny compensation to WA asbestos victims in her role as a corporate lawyer in the 1980s.

In Australia's greatest single industrial disaster, an estimated 1000 people living and working near the mine at Wittenoom have died from asbestos-related diseases including asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.

Ms Bishop, the federal Opposition's industrial relations spokeswoman, confirmed her role as an instructing solicitor for mine owner CSR in cases involving three asbestos victims who worked at the mine.

But she rejected a plea from the Asbestos Diseases Society to apologise for her actions. Ms Bishop said on Friday she commiserated with those affected, who included CSR executives, whom she had represented.

"I have enormous sympathy for those who suffered asbestos-related diseases," she said in a statement to The Australian.

"There were members of the CSR executive management team who also died of asbestos-related diseases who had worked at Wittenoom.

"As one of the lawyers in the case, I acted ethically and professionally at all times in accordance with client instructions."

http://www.news.com.au/news/bishop-defends-asbestos-role/story-fna7dq6e-1111115018277

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.