makattack, there were already rules and regulations in place for...

1. 34,916 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 480
    makattack, there were already rules and regulations in place for the employer to be responsible for workers safety.

There were no appropriate rules in place to control the influx of new workers. Obviously not as untrained people died. What a responsible government would have done is wrap proper training requirements pre-requisites around obtaining the work that the government was offering. They would have known to do this because, as any half-wit would know, creating a massive increase of workload in a short amount of time lured by money incentives was only going to create resource issues and induce sharks. But this would have required time to plan and implement, time that this political purpose did not have. The government was negligent, there's no other way to describe it. I work with OHS practises, and if this was a private company that had instigated this policy, the authorities would have charged and fined people by now.

I just don't see how a scheme devised that increased workload to an extent that couldn't be performed with adequately trained personnel can be analogous with the improving of dangerous intersections etc that is the job of a body who dictates the priority of this work based on funds available and which is highly subjective. Driving on a road is dangerous full-stop. Banning cars would be the most efficient way to avoid accidents but that's not realistic.

Being selective on what you blame or don't blame on the government based political flavour is BS.

I am glad Glug you support the Labor government for their policy. Unfortunately your on your own. Even Rudd has now admitted faults in the scheme. This issue has nothing to do with politcal flavour. If you get an incompetent fool as Garrett to implement and manage such a scheme without the appropriate skills then the inevitable will happen.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.