Is the Bible True?, page-402

1. 27,732 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    "In high school, the first sentence from the teacher was:"

"Our first topic is light. We do not really know what it is. Sometimes it acts like a wave; sometimes like a particle; but we do not really understand it. All we can say, is that light is light, and observe what it does."

I feel that my high school teachers may have thought that also possess dual characteristics:
    sometimes acts like an intelligent human being; sometimes like a complete idiot; but we don't really understand it .. alias him. All we can say, is that is , and observe what it - alias he - does.

"So I wonder about all the devotees of science, and why we should base our values and morals and ideas upon a dsicipline that increasingly has nothing to do with everyday problems, admits to its own limits, has uncertainty at large and small scales, and is undergoing chaange and revision rapidly and constantly."

I consider myself as a devotee of science and have been studying it all my life.

A few years back I attended an open day at a local university with the idea of enrolling in a course. I had no idea what course I would do. Anyway, I had a long discussion with one of the biology lecturers on evolution and he invited me to enroll in one of his second year courses. I told him that my formal education in biology didn't extend beyond Kindergarten. He said that didn't matter because my informal education obviously took me beyond that of his students who had been studying for more than a year full time.

Science for me is good at enabling us to understanding our physical universe - a strength is that it is work in progress and therefore admits that we have a lot to learn and are often wrong. It is also limited in its scope.

In spite of this we live in a world surrounded by the discoveries of science - a bit like marriage, I guess; for better and for worse it is with us.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.