Therapeutic Albanese talks crap about diversity as young...

1. 54,584 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 306

Therapeutic Albanese talks crap about diversity as young Vietnamese local punted for blonde Kristina

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.08.44 am

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.09.39 amUntil this week, Tu Le was shaping up as the next Labor MP in the party’s heartland seat of Fowler.

The 30-year-old lawyer from western Sydney did not see herself as a political hotshot – she says preselection would simply have been the next step in her community advocacy work.

As the daughter of Vietnamese refugees and a campaigner for migrant worker rights, Ms Le was – according to outgoing local Labor MP Chris Hayes – the “great Australian story”.

But despite having the backing of Mr Hayes, who has held the seat for more than a decade, Ms Le was overlooked by the party’s head office in favour of Kristina Keneally, Labor’s federal home affairs spokeswoman.

“If we truly are the party of multiculturalism, you must be able to see it in our make-up,” Mr Hayes said. “I don’t think I see the level of diversity of our community when I walk through the door of our caucus room.”

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 8.10.40 am

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.