is this the best value holiday?, page-2

1. 38,132 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 436
    hi Rebel

I agree with Mrs R ... the kids will remember an exciting, eventful holiday with their parents.

We did something every year with ours, mixing up road trips, camping, overseas, the Gold Coast (arghhhhh) and some years skiing.

I think if you can be flexible with timeing (difficult with school age kids) I hear there are some fantastic cruise deals at certain times of the year ... I reckon a cruise would be up there in memory stakes with your family.

I also think Bali represents value ... possibly there are cheap flights out of Perth?

If you can change from June, could you consider a summer camping trip? You can kit yourselves out with tent, sleeping bags, 2 burner cooker, flouro lights, camp chairs n table and a few plastic tubs for storage for around $1k I reckon if you pick sales times ... there is a really good camping store somewhere on the southern outskirts of the Adelaide CBD I think?

Spending a bit more on the camping gear, gives you the opportunity for a few more years of summer road trips ... and long weekends away.

Years ago Mrs Dex and I bought 2 floating weeks in a time share for $1800 each ... they are completely transferable and we have used those weeks in the US, Canada, NZ, Spain and all over east coast Australia ... at typically just the annual maintenance fee of $300/wk initially and now I think it is more like $600/wk, but the cost of a week at the places we stay would be >$2k/week otherwise ... we've only ever stayed in our actual time share (Gold Coast hinterland twice) ... using timeshare this way was how we gave our 3 great holidays every year.

Oh, for absolute wow factor, one year we hired a 36' catamaran in the Whitsunday's for something like $3k for the week ... sounds like a lot, but as we cooked our own meals it was way cheaper than staying in a resort for the week ... I was a bit edgy for a day or two as I re-discoverd my sailing skills from a decade earlier lol ... but after that even I relaxed.

Get back to us all when you decide.

Cheers
    Dex

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.