Yes, in those days it was believed that gods other than YHWH...

1. 11,853 Posts.
    Yes, in those days it was believed that gods other than YHWH existed. The tribe of Israel adopted Yahweh as their state god.
      -----------------
      Jehovah demonstrated that all the so-called gods of Egypt were impotent ahead of that time.

(Exodus 12:12) For I will pass through the land of Egypt on this night and strike every firstborn in the land of Egypt, from man to beast; and I will execute judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am Jehovah.

Soon afterward those that refused to accept the evidence before them drowned in the Red Sea.

(Exodus 14:28) The returning waters covered the war chariots and the cavalrymen and all of Pharʹaoh’s army who had gone into the sea after them. Not so much as one among them was allowed to survive.

Jehovah reminded them of that prior to offering the opportunity to dedicate themselves to him.

(Exodus 19:4-6) ‘You have seen for yourselves what I did to the Egyptians, in order to carry you on wings of eagles and bring you to myself.  Now if you will strictly obey my voice and keep my covenant, you will certainly become my special property out of all peoples, for the whole earth belongs to me. You will become to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words that you are to say to the Israelites.”

Their response was unanimous.
    (Exodus 19:8) After that all the people answered unanimously: “All that Jehovah has spoken, we are willing to do.” Moses immediately took the people’s response to Jehovah.

Of course, in the main the nation failed to live up to their promise. Jehovah will fulfill that promise through the Israel of God that are in the new covenant.
    (Revelation 5:9, 10) And they sing a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and open its seals, for you were slaughtered and with your blood you bought people for God out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,  and you made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God, and they are to rule as kings over the earth.”

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.