Of Course Pauline Hanson is right, no accident that she got 600k...

1. 7,659 Posts.
    Of Course Pauline Hanson is right, no accident that she got 600k votes!

More Buddhists? So why are Muslims more trouble? Isn't Pauline Hanson right?

This attempt to "correct" Pauline Hanson only helps to make her point. If we have more Buddhists than Muslims, why don't they give us this same grief? Why are they somehow not suffering the "racism" and "marginalisation" so many Muslim leaders complain of by way of excuse?

News.com.au, the Left-wing branch of the Murdoch empire here, writes:

PAULINE Hanson wants Australians to face a reality check about Muslim immigration but a closer look at her claims show they don’t quite add up.

In her maiden speech on Wednesday night in the Senate, the One Nation leader sparked a walkout when she said Australia risked being “swamped” by Muslims....

But ... [in] the 2011 Census, just 2.2 per cent of Australians identified their religion as Islam and this was lower than the 2.5 per cent who identified as Buddhists.

Hmm. More Buddhists? So why are all the people jailed for terrorism offences Muslim, and none Buddhist?
    And why this frantic desire by politicians and the media to appease Muslim leaders, but not Buddhist? The ABC - particularly Q&A - regularly has a token Muslim guest, but almost never a token Buddhist.

The Prime Minister hosts a Muslim religious dinner, but not a Buddhist.

By the way, ignored in the article is the Muslim community's rapid rate of growth, both in numbers and proportion of the population:

Muslim Population in Australia

UPDATE
    In The Age is another attempt to fact-check Hanson - an attempt to discredit that winds up looking desperate and rather silly. Daniel Flitton writes about Hanson's alleged "howlers":

Her first speech as a senator is maddeningly thick with selective statistics, wild assertions and untested claims, but a handful of howlers stand out...

"My pride and patriotism were instilled in me from an early age when I watched the Australian flag raised every morning at school and sang the national anthem."

Yeah, that'd be "Advance Australia Fair". Which was first adopted as the national anthem in 1974.
    Senator Hanson turned 20 that year.

To be excruciatingly fair, she didn't specify exactly which national anthem the young Hanson was tuning up to...
    But it might be worth pointing out "God Save The Queen" - reinstated as Australia's national anthem in 1976, then finally dumped in 1984 - doesn't actually mention Australia.

Being fair may be "excruciating" - but only to Flitton, because God Save the Queen was indeed our official national anthem when Hanson was young and most students then indeed did sing it. So Hanson is therefore correct.
    Excruciating for journalists wishing to mock her.

So Flitton tries again, trying to discredit a second claim in Hanson's speech:

"I was imprisoned in 2003 for three years, held in maximum security on electoral fraud charges."
    Let be clear, Brisbane Women's Correctional Centre is no luxury hotel.

But the term "high security facility" is the preferred description of Queensland authorities.
    I know, that's getting all finicky about definitions, and 11 weeks on the inside must have been tough.
    Yet it is also true that "maximum security units" are only found in some men's prisons in Queensland.
    Just saying.

"Just saying" is Flitton's don't-hit-me way of conceding he is clutching to the thinnest of straws, taking issue with official definitions when Hanson is in fact correct. She was indeed put in the units with the maximum security available.

In fact, The Age at the time had no hesitation in itself saying Hanson was held in maximum security - a phrase Flitton now insists is a Hanson "howler":

August 21, 2003
    Pauline Hanson was handcuffed and faced strip searches last night as she began her sentence... Hanson and [co-assured David] Ettridge for the moment have been classified as maximum security prisoners.
    What The Age published today is an article inspired by pure malice, not evidence. This is not reporting but smearing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/bl...t/news-story/078d0cba0285b2cc8d0870c72785a848

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.