So Sens.Correct me if I am wrong , these are the 6 clauses in...

1. 6,456 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 284
    So Sens.
    Correct me if I am wrong , these are the 6 clauses in the IHRA

1. Accusing Jews of being more loyal to Israel or to a global Jewish agenda than to their home countries.
    blatant antisemitism
    2. Denying Jews the right to self-determination or calling Israel a “racist endeavor.”
    anti- semitic , but should not exclude pointing out racist policies of any Israeli government
    3. Applying a double standard to Israel that isn’t applied to other countries.
    My only comment I would make on this , I would hold Israel to the same standards I would hold any democratic developed country to.
    4.Applying classic anti-Semitic smears, like the blood libel, to Israel.
    There are plenty of terms that can be used to describe any transgressions of the Israeli state , definitely anti-semitic to use blood libel
    5. Comparing Israel to the Nazis.
    Unfair and over the top , see comment 4
    6. Holding Jews collectively responsible for Israel’s actions.
    Grossly anti-semitic .

No 6 is the most important .
    But Israel , by doing everything it can to make any criticism of the Israeli state's actions, 'anti-semitic', pushes the association between Jews and those actions , making them ''Jewish'' actions.
    As a friend of mine said, to paraphrase , 'I try to tell people that Israel doesn't define me as a Jew, and they come back with " It is how Israel defines you ".

The IHRA statement as it stands , dilutes the message that anti-semiticism is an abomination , by focusing so much of its efforts on preventing criticism of the Israeli state.
    And that dilution is a danger to all of us.

I might add, my statement above referring to competing victimhood , was a reference to the Israel/Palestinian interaction and should not be taken more widely than that.
    Of course , the IHRA might see that as anti-semitic regardless.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.