In His Retirement Speech, Israel's Top Officer in the West Bank...

1. 1,964 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 295

In His Retirement Speech, Israel's Top Officer in the West Bank Revealed the Hidden Truth

Maj. Gen. Yehuda Fuchs stressed the dangers of ignoring settler violence against Palestinians and the importance of the Palestinian Authority for Israel's security

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2024-07-09/ty-article/.premium/in-his-retirement-speech-israels-top-officer-in-the-west-bank-revealed-the-hidden-truth/

Fuchs didn't hide behind obfuscations, but rather described his feelings of guilt – as part of the Israel Defense Forces high command and as the former head of the Gaza Division at the end of the previous decade – in the face of the army's resounding failure in preventing October 7 massacre.

"unfortunately, in recent months, nationalist crime has reared its head under the cover of war and has led to revenge and sowed calamity and fear in Palestinian residents who do not pose any threat. To my dismay, the local leadership and the spiritual leadership for the most part did not see the threat as we did. It is intimidated and has not found the strength to come out openly and act in accordance with the values of Judaism."

"Even if the perpetrators are few in number, those who have remained silent have failed to isolate them and their actions from the majority. This isn't Judaism in my eyes – at least it's not the one I grew up with in my father's and mother's house."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.