Yeah, I know that ICJ has no power to actually enforce its...

1. 608 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 118
    Yeah, I know that ICJ has no power to actually enforce its ruling - I've said that today in one of my posts in a different thread.

The Israelis could simply, knowing Jewish mentality, continue their genocide with contempt of the court. My guess is that they will - we've already heard from the Israeli government spokesman, that smug little BS artist Eylon Levy what they think about the Republic of South Africa and the genocide.

Can South Africa’s ICJ case against Israel stop war in Gaza?
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/1/3/can-south-africas-icj-case-against-israel-stop-war-in-gaza

A few snippets below:

South Africa has also specially
    requested that the ICJ move urgently to prevent Israel from committing further crimes in the strip – likely by issuing an order for Tel Aviv to halt its invasion. That request will be prioritised, the ICJ said in a statement, but did not specify a timeline. South Africa’s documentation is particularly needed amid heightened disinformation around the war, and for other, wide-reaching purposes.

South Africa proactively requested an expedited process in its December submission. Its call for an emergency order from the ICJ could produce
    fairly swift results – in a matter of weeks – as happened in the Ukraine case.

Israel and South Africa are both parties to the ICJ, meaning its rulings are binding on both of them. But while the ICJ has more weight than the UN Security Council where Israel is tightly shielded by the US, the court lacks enforcement power. In fact, the ICJ’s orders have been ignored in some cases with no serious consequences.

In March 2022,
    for example, one month after Russia invaded Ukraine, Kyiv filed a case against Russia at the Court. In that case, Ukraine also asked the ICJ to lay down emergency measures to stop Russia’s aggression.

The court did indeed order Moscow to halt military operations shortly after, stating that it was “profoundly concerned” by the assault on Ukraine. Nevertheless, more than a year later, the war in Europe continues.

Last edited by VictoriaCoast: 05/01/24

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.