GNS 0.00% 16.0¢ gunns limited

In terms of the existing industry in the Bell Bay industrial...

1. 328 Posts.
    In terms of the existing industry in the Bell Bay industrial area, it's what you cannot see or smell that is of concern.

Aluminium smelters are/were notorious for releasing a lot of fluoride into the atmosphere. It's a fairly nasty substance in high doses. It also causes industrial health issues for workers in the smelter (potroom asthma) but I have not heard much about it in recent years - maybe process changes have cleaned it up significantly. Comalco (RIO) have a world scale plant at Bell Bay just a couple of kilometres or so, as the crow flies, from the pulp mill site.

The Tamar is a highly industrialised area in a part of Tasmania that was developed very early in its European history. It's NOT the fjord-like, steep sided, virgin forested, pristine water "valley", untouched by man until GNS came along, that the anti-mill folk would have you believe. The whole of the Tamar is extensively developed. Don't get me wrong - it is also a very pleasant and picturesque place including, IMHO, the port and industrial areas. I'd live there any day, with or without a pulp mill present.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GNS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.