it's easy being green - led lighting

1. 18,300 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 178
    Hi

I hope this is the right location to begin, what I hope, to be a positive and useful thread to deal on an individual basis with moving towards a cleaner existence on this planet, our only home in this vast universe.

I would like to ask anyone to contribute who has installed or is thinking of installing various new technologies in their home, or purchased or is thinking of purchasing a new, cleaner, car or has a novel way of dealing with waste, or water issues. Be it ever so minor, I feel it would be good to share tips on how to be greener.

At present I am looking to replace most of my light globes, which are of the old-fashioned kind, but have found that the newer ones, available now on supermarket shelves have the problem that on disposal they leave a residue of mercury.

So I am checking out the LED light scene. There is one Australian company which sells LED light globes and some tubes, some strip lighting as well to the Australian market over the internet, but they are hugely expensive - don't know if I can mention the name here without contravening posting rules - so far I haven't done the rounds of the shops yet, but living in Perth, makes me somewhat pessimistic, as - from past experience - whatever unusual item you want, is almost impossible to obtain.

Some people are selling domestic LED light products out of Hong Kong at much reduced prices, but the range is somewhat limited. There is also the problem that in some instances one may have to purchase a converter, which is something I want to avoid.

My next project will be to get some solar cells installed on the roof before the Government stops contributions to the scheme.

So my question to you: who is using LEDs for domestic lighting and where did you purchase it, and any other information which might be of value.

Answers truly appreciated - thanks

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.