it's not easy being green - led lighting, page-29

1. 18,420 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 185
    gmt

I was just about to call it a day, but saw your post. In initiating this thread I was mainly concerned about LEDs, which are different to the Government-approved CFLs, which are everything you say; plus the problem of mercury residue on disposal. I am absolutely certain the manufacturing for CFLs is not any more benign than that for filament globes, (its the same with every new technology), but we need to make the right choice to begin with and know exactly what they are going to do for us.

I don't know about the manufacturing process for LEDs but they have a very long life expectancy - at least the better ones do, but are costly. Once I have made the change-over to LED, I do not expect to replace most of my globes within the next five years or more - some of those globes promise a life expectancy of 20 000 hours! LED is also the better choice in TV screens (rather than plasma).

The amount of money invested in new technology is not irrelevant, but what is relevant is how we chose to spend our money (if we've got it in the first place, of course). It's easy to forgo that extra bottle of Red or some other luxury item for a few months and have something of value, which will also reduce running costs and help reduce our individual CO2 emissions.

So far the electricity companies are 'playing ball' and it remains to be seen how the pricing structure is going to develop. I have a very personal view that society will change to become more local and this may even apply to power supply, but cannot quite see how the transition will happen. Possibly we will be able to purchase a small power wizard from a white goods store, containing ceramic fuel cells and feed and/or store our surplus electricity from our solar cells into this and become totally independent from an exterior infrastructure; or supplement power with a small wind turbine on the roof or backyard. One thing is for sure these small domestic changes, or even wind power will not be enough for industry - nuclear is the only option there - always in my view, of course.

My worry with atomic energy is the fact that it is such a costly and lengthy procedure to build the power stations in the first place, yet the French have them and are even selling power to the Brits.

sorry I have digressed a bit - tend to get a bit obsessive.

Good Night

Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.