it's not easy being green - led lighting, page-51

1. 6,389 Posts.
    Taurisk,

Again go to the whirlpool forum and read up about solar BEFORE you do anything.

Here are some thing to remember:

1. From 1 July the REC's for s PV Solar system change from 5x to 4x which will probably add at least $1000 to a 1500 watt system.

2. Check your state FIT (Feed in Tariff) rate. For example in NSW I beleive it is now 20 cents compared to the previous 66 cents. You also have to check what type of FIT it is: net or gross. As I am in Victoria I don't know what the rates are in WA.

3. Deposits and installation time. Whatever you do DO NOT PAY A BIG DEPOSIT UP FRONT!!!! Find a company that will allow you to pay once the sytem is installed or in many cases you'll just end up waiting forever.

Also get a written contract that specifies the date of installation and even more important: makes sure it specifies the make and model of the Inverter and panels so that they can not substitute cheapo brands later on.

Depending on the WA FIT you may or may not want to get a big system. You'll have to do the calculations and also review the FIT rules for adding on later.

Here in Victoria we have a net FIT at 66 cents and a Time Of Use (TOU) which changes the electricity rates dpending on when it is used. Net means that you only get 66 cents for any excess electricity generated on a 30 minute basis.

Now the best part: I just got my second bill since installing the 1500 watt system and even with the rotten weather we've been having in Melbourne and the higher electricity usage and increase in electricity rates, I managed to get a credit on my bill. I work at home and have two computers running most of the day.

So I used a lot of the elecrticity I generated, made even more, and ended up paying for all the electricity I used, the ripoff quaterly service charge, and had money left over.

I don't have the Inverter hooked up to my computer to monitor how much electricity I am generating and the daily stats, but even that results in not being charged the rate per kw.

IMO solar PV systems with the government subsidy are one of the best investments a person can make (except NSW) and get a tax free rate of return.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.