Oh, I see your mistake seden33. It's arithmetical.The abstract...

1. 5,732 Posts.
    Oh, I see your mistake seden33. It's arithmetical.

The abstract states: The 0.33?°C±0.14 average temperature difference from 0 to 700?m is twice the value observed globally in that depth range over the past 50 years6, implying a centennial timescale for the present rate of global warming.

If a change between the 1870s and now is twice the change in the past 50 years, then the change in the past 50 years equals the change between the 1870s and 50 years ago.

Change between 1870s and now = 2x
    Change in past 50 years = x
    Change between 1870s and 50 years ago = change over 85 years = x

Put in terms of the 135 year period they refer to:- The total change is 2x. It took at most 85 years to heat up x but only 50 years to add another x and get to 2x.

From what you've written, you made the mistake of thinking it took 85 years to get to 2x and 50 years to add another x, which would have been a three times the value rather than two times the value as stated in the abstract. This explains why you made the mistake of thinking the heating is 'slowing down', when it's speeding up if anything.

The other thing is the change you have focused on is the average for the top 700m of the ocean. Figure 3 with the abstract shows the profile going down to just over 1800 m and it is accumulating heat right down to that level. The difference varies with depth. As expected, it heats more at the top and it's not heating as much the deeper you go. Some heat may be starting to accumulate below 2000 m. I don't know - but the ocean, while having distinct layers, needs to be considered in its entirety.

I'm afraid I don't know which post of birdman's you are referring to. He comes up with different 'theories' all the time. (Today he's suggesting it's asteroid dust that is causing AGW.)

If you had been following climate science and solar activity you'd know the sun has not been an overall increase in radiation from the sun since the peak in the late 1950s while the global surface temperature has been rising because greenhouse gases are accumulating. (And the ocean is accumulating most of the extra energy as heat.)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.