...we should expect the recession narrative to get more firm...

1. 20,664 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1963
    ...we should expect the recession narrative to get more firm rooting in the weeks ahead...but markets still hoping a mild one and still fixated on hope of a more dovish Fed.  Commodities caught wind of an increasingly likelihood of recession will likely see traders take more pre-emptive measures to wind back their long positions. Then attention will be next on the earnings season which begins in 2 weeks, and an earnings recession narrative can't be far. Then US CPI data would be released on July 13 and we get to understand if inflation stays stubbornly high OR starts to show a more moderated outlook as markets hope for. If instead they surprise to the upside and go higher than 8.6pc, be prepared for the stagflation narrative.

...one more week of subdued and perhaps even market rebound, before crunch time begins in earnest.

GDPNow Forecast Plunges To -2.1 Percent, A Recession Has Clearly Started
    By Mish Shedlock of MishTalk
    Saturday, July 2, 2022 10:51 PM EDT

GDPNow data from the Atlanta Fed, chart by Mish
    Please note another GDPNow Model plunge following a miserable ISM number.
    The GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the second quarter of 2022 is -2.1 percent on July 1, down from -1.0 percent on June 30. After this morning's Manufacturing ISM Report On Business from the Institute for Supply Management and the construction report from the US Census Bureau, the nowcasts of second-quarter real personal consumption expenditures growth and real gross private domestic investment growth decreased from 1.7 percent and -13.2 percent, respectively, to 0.8 percent and -15.2 percent, respectively.
    Once again, the number to watch is not the headline -2.1 percent forecast. Rather, it's Real Final Sales (RFS).
    RFS plunged a whopping 1.2 percentage points today to a barely positive 0.3 percent.
    The Odds of Recession Starting in the "First" Quarter of 2022 Just Leaped
    On June 29, I commented The Odds of Recession Starting in the "First" Quarter of 2022 Just Leaped
    I made that call following a BEA revision on Wednesday to first-quarter GDP.
    The BEA's final forecast for the quarter went to -1.6 percent from an initial -1.4%.
    That's not the basis of my claim. Rather it was the huge revision from -0.6 percent to -1.2% in RFS.
    Whoa! Massive Inventory Overhang

We have never seen a massive inventory overhang like this.
    It's the result of fiscal and monetary stimulus on steroids. Merchants ordered far more goods than they could possibly sell.
    It's that chart that explains the plunge in the baseline GDPNow forecast from +0.7 percent to -2.1 percent.
    A strong April retail sales report kept RFS in positive territory.
    Looking Ahead
    We have already seen revisions to retail sales, personal incomes and outlays, and Q1 GDP.
    This is what happens in recessions. Data revisions beget data revisions.
    Yesterday I commented
    Looking ahead, I expect more weak numbers and more negative revisions. The second quarter ended today, But the data lags. We have a key ISM number next week, another retail sales report, more housing reports, and another personal income and outlays report.
    Look at the trend folks. Where is it headed? And there is still a month's worth of data coming in.
    The ISM report was not next week, it was today.
    Where's the data headed? You saw today.
    To repeat: The quarter is over but the data lags. We still have more housing reports, another retail sales report, and another personal income and outlays report, and another ISM report.
    I ask the same question today. Look at the trend folks. Where is it headed?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.