Not really, most of the energy and coal stocks that I own (full...

1. 263 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 33
    Not really, most of the energy and coal stocks that I own (full disclosure WHC, NHC, HZN, YAL, SMR, KAR, SMR & SOL indirectly) have been able to pay out high % dividends with virtually no change to their SP, and that is despite the significant drop in what was already elevated commodity prices. With historical low P/E ratios in the order of 2 - 5 and no debt for most of the above companies, it's not going to take long for investors to be able to recoup their initial investments purely on dividends alone.

So you were right about the commodity prices coming down but not so much on the SP of said companies. That being said, met coal is still fetching a hefty price of +$300 per tonne, and thermal coal and oil prices are still well above historical averages.

The only significant drop of note for me is WDS but I am still well up from my initial investment at $20 per share. On reflection, $40 was probably the time to off-load. Can't always get it right, but I will continue to hold as I remain bullish for the long term.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.