Its Over, page-267

1. 20,875 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1968
    If you have been following my thread, I had earlier emphasised 'Flight to Quality', 'Dead Stock' and 'Falling Knives Stocks'
    Often it is important to take heed if your stock has broken a major support level because such a breach is usually followed by a steep fall. Around April18, I had cautioned about 'Falling Knives' stocks and indicated a Flight to Quality as exuberance has disappeared for many of yesteryear darling tech stocks. I also mentioned why it is better to remove dead stocks from your portfolio as it represents opportunity cost- not only do your dead stocks cost you more as they decline further but if you had divested earlier and place the proceeds into a higher quality stock that appreciates, you could have made up for the earlier loss.
    As illustration , I am going to show you what happens if you had bought YOJ shares at 23c in early Feb18 and decide to cut loss when it major support level of 14.5c (on Nov 8 2017) was breached in May 3 2018 and plough the proceeds into Appen (APX) (flight to quality) on the same day. So say you bought 65,217 YOJ shares @ 23c ($15,000 capital) in early Feb 18 and on May 3, you sold all of it at 14c for a loss of $5,870. You plough the proceeds of $9,130 into APX shares @$10.24 on May 3 to receive 892 APX shares. This is the outcome:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    0   No of shares on May 3 2018 Value today
    1 YOJ 65,217 $ 5,869.57
    3 If divested from YOJ and invested into APX on 3/5/18
    4 APX 892 @$10.24 per share
    5 Value of APX today $ 13,133.92 @$14.73 per share
    7 Incremental gain $ 7,264.35  
    The value of APX holding would now be worth $13,134 , and you would have recovered almost all of the YOJ losses made. In contrast, if you held on to YOJ shares, it is now only worth $5,870. So between the two alternate course of action, you would have been better off by $7,264 if you had taken the APX path rather than maintain YOJ holdings!
    Of course you say hindsight is great. But it does not detract from the importance of recognising (1) the delusion of hanging on a dead stock after a major technical support level breach and (2) the importance of opportunity cost - the same money can get better returns elsewhere

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.