seems like Captain Arthur Phillip wasn't too enamoured with his...

1. 6,257 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1036
    seems like Captain Arthur Phillip wasn't too enamoured with his own folk either

I quote

'The women in general I should suppose posess neither virtue nor honesty ... But there may be some.. who still retain some degree of virtue, and these should be permitted to keep together and strict orders to the Master of the transport should be given that they are not abused and insulted by the ship's company, which is said to have been the case too often when they were sent to America'

in other words convict women ( bread thieves, clothing thieves etc ) were just trash and ripe for abuse unless they were 'virtuous'

that's what you can't get your head around.. the white man applied the same logic and still does, to the Aboriginal

unless they are virtuous and compliant, they are trash

take it one step further, your own kind treated their own women 'appallingly' you hypocrite

Now don't be so simple as to label me a lefty because I actually believe and know for a fact that Captain Arthur Phillip is most certainly one of the reasons the first fleet voyage was successful (in terms of lives retained vs the size and complexity of the mission) and the first fleet colony was also in context a resounding success... why ? Because Arthur Phillip was a simple farming fella who knew how to work the land, what to look for and he had already devised a plan to manage the livestock and immediately set about breeding the livestock they took in order to build at least some sort of a robust food source.. He was not a superstar of the navy he was just the right person at the right time

I salute Captain Arthur Phillip for achieving the virtually impossible but Aboriginal people have every right to wonder why did we cop the same treatment as non virtuous convict women ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.