AKE 0.00% $9.83 allkem limited

Stumbled across a recent article in the Canadian Mining Journal...

1. 4,338 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2629
    Stumbled across a recent article in the Canadian Mining Journal which attempts to give a picture of the lithium sector in Quebec. A good read - one of the frustrations I have with focusing on Quebec investments is that I don't know where to source the goss from so this is a rare find for me. There is a section on Allkem's James Bay project but they do not address the fat grizzly in the room which is while the federal permitting is fit for purpose the provincial level permitting system is all but dysfunctional (don't start me).

One thing that stands out for me like bull's horns is how the sector in Quebec currently is dominated by (currently) ASX listed companies: ten of the 16 projects or "properties" they list has some level of involvement from ASX listed companies.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5653/5653676-c7efeddab8406b5dc4d9cb6d7642c339.jpg
    I've highlighted those projects with Aussie involvement and flagged Whabouchi as well seeing Livent holds 50% of it. And here is a list of the companies behind those projects.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5653/5653692-e6d6d9b9cd1c355d7cb319360d931e47.jpg
    I've highlighted Power Metals as Winsome currently owns 20% of it and I fully expect Winsome to take over Power Metals in the near future. Also there is an error in that Nemaska Lithium owns 100% of Whabouchi and Livent owns 50% of Nemaska (with a Quebec government business unit owning the other 50%).

I know after the merger of Allkem and Livent the newco will have two large advanced mining projects in Quebec, 100% of James Bay and 50% of Whabouchi, but it is clear that it is Sayona and Winsome, but not Allkem, that are mimicking Chris Ellison and Twiggy and Gina in WA who all clearly believe that whoever owns the rock is god. Sayona has two main advancing projects in Quebec with a couple of less active projects and Winsome has Adina and Cancet and another clear opportunity through Power Metals at Case Lake. Maybe newco will be large enough to sit back while the likes of Sayona and Winsome develop projects and then take those projects over when most of the risk has been dealt with.

Anyway, Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!! (we might be shite at elite sport these days but we are great at digging holes).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AKE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.