Mr. Epps, is 60 and runs a wedding and event venue in Queen...

1. 23,733 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1

Mr. Epps, is 60 and runs a wedding and event venue in Queen Creek, Ariz

New Evidence Undercuts Jan. 6 Instigator Conspiracy Theory

Recordings released to defense lawyers directly challenge assertions by prominent Republicans that an Arizona man named Ray Epps was a federal informant and helped start the Capitol riot

Published May 5, 2022

Just two days after the attack, when Mr. Epps saw himself on a list of suspects from Jan. 6, he called an F.B.I. tip line and told investigators that he had tried to calm Mr. Samsel down when they spoke, according to three people who have heard a recording of the call. Mr. Epps went on to say that he explained to Mr. Samsel that the police outside the building were merely doing their jobs, the people said.

Then in late January of last year, in an interview with the F.B.I., Mr. Samsel said much the same thing, telling investigators that a man he did not know came up to him at the barricades and suggested he relax, according to a recording of the interview obtained by The New York Times.

“He came up to me and he said, ‘Dude’ — his entire words were, ‘Relax, the cops are doing their job,’” Mr. Samsel said.

The theories surrounding Mr. Epps have been debunked before, most notably after he spoke last year to investigators working with the House select committee examining the Jan. 6 attack. During the interview, committee officials said, Mr. Epps said that he was not an F.B.I. informant and denied reports that he had urged protesters to go into the Capitol at the behest of federal law enforcement agencies.

Still, the rumors about him have persisted, becoming regular fodder for right-wing politicians and media figures.

The recordings of Mr. Epps and Mr. Samsel were released by the government last week as a discovery disclosure to scores of defense lawyers representing people charged with crimes in connection with the Capitol attack.

Read more:-
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/us/jan-6-ray-epps-evidence.html

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.