Jesus Christ was not Jewish

1. 31,086 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1490
    @DBT9

I would like to point out to you why there is so much confusion, New people in my circle say "why does my bible sometimes speak well of the Jews" e.g, Paul saying in Romans that "the gospel of Christ . . . is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek:" and in Acts, Paul saying that he was "a Jew of Tarsus.''

If you will look up these few instances in a good concordance you will find that in each instance the translators have written the word "Jew" in English, where it was not used in the original Greek from which they mis-translated it. In such instances, in the original Greek, the word used was "Ioudaios" which does not mean "Jew," but simply a "Judean" a person whose home is in the land of Judea, or southern Palestine. It has no religious connotation, and it has no racial connotation either, it is purely a geographic term, like "Melburnian." A "Melburnian" could be white, black, brown or yellow by race; and he could be Christian, Jew, Buddhist or atheist. So also a "Ioudaios" was merely a person who lived in Judea.

Ιουδαίος - Ioudaios is an Ancient Greek ethnonym used in classical and biblical literature which commonly translates to "Jew" or "Judean".

NIV - Paul answered, “I am a Jew, from Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city. Please let me speak to the people.”

From the Aramaic - But Sha’ul replied, “I am a Yehudite from Tarsos, in Kilikia, a citizen of no mean city. And I beg you, allow me to speak to the people.”

Yehudite/Yehudi - The English term Jew originates in the Biblical Hebrew word Yehudi, meaning "from the Kingdom of Judah". - wiki.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.