jesus loves you, page-998

1. 1,452 Posts.
    "Are you denying Hebrew has three ways to describe jealousy."

Isn't it obvious that I am not?

So therefore you recognize unlike English, Hebrew is describing Jealousy in three distinct ways. Two that are negative and one that is positive.

Here's the negative usage of Jealousy that is clearly outlined in scripture.

So, brothers, I was not able to speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to fleshly men, as to infants+ in Christ. I fed you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet strong enough. In fact, neither are you strong enough now, for you are still fleshly. Since there are jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly and are you not walking as men do? For when one says, “I belong to Paul,” but another says, “I to A·pol′los,” are you not acting like mere men?

Here's one example where jealousy is a good thing.

I wish you would put up with me in a little unreasonableness. But, in fact, you are putting up with me! For I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy, for I personally promised you in marriage to one husband that I might present you as a chaste virgin to the Christ. But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent seduced Eve by its cunning, your minds might be corrupted away from the sincerity and the chastity that are due the Christ.

So your original example of the bible contradicting itself is no contradiction at all.

1) God is love. - 1 John 4:8
    2) Love is not jealous. - 1 Corinthians 13:4
    3) "God is jealous." - Exodus 20:5

God is Love.

Love is not Qana or Qin'ah

God is Qanna

for the purpose of communication of information. So in some places where interpreters use the word 'jealousy' it would have been more accurate to use the terms 'zealous' or 'passionate'

The problem is with later translations as the original language held no such confusion. The people who heard those verses were under no mistake as to what they meant.

If you are ready and accept the first example as no contradiction I will be happy to look at your next example.
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.