MJP 0.00% 0.8¢ martin aircraft company limited

http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20141202/BUSINESS/141209558/...

1. 291 Posts.
    http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20141202/BUSINESS/141209558/12335/NEWS

By Shina Neo The Patriot Ledger Posted Dec. 2, 2014 @ 5:15 am PLYMOUTH

Avwatch, founded in 2008 by Chris Kluckhuhn, offers aerial reconnaissance and photo and video footage services to government and commercial clients. Now the 12-person Plymouth company wants to take the next leap: manned and unmanned jetpacks for use by first responders. Kluckhuhn, a former Coast Guard rescue pilot, has partnered with New Zealand-based Martin Aircraft Co., a jetpack maker, to bring the technology to the U.S.

Martin Aircraft was founded in 1998 by Glenn Martin, who started researching the concept of the jetpack more than 30 years ago. The jetpacks are due to arrive in the country at the end of next year and there are plans to put them on the market in 2016.

The cost of the aircraft will be about $200,000. “I see it being something that can help in an urban environment,” said Kluckhuhn, whose target market includes agencies doing remote rescues or disaster communications and response. This includes police and fire departments. The jetpack can be used as an observation position for emergency rapid responders, to put someone on the scene fast and get around in disaster zones and high-traffic areas. “Being able to fly it remotely up to the side of a building with a basket for somebody to jump into, or to fly it from one ship to another to transfer supplies or a person, I see a role for it there,” said Kluckhuhn. The jetpack can launch and set up a miniature satellite that can remain stationary to help bridge communications.

Kluckhuhn met with Peter Coker, CEO of Martin Aircraft, to discuss the jetpack logistics. “I gained confidence that this was something real based on what he said and the backing of 20 to 30 million dollars of investment they are putting into the machine,” said Kluckhuhn. Eventually, the jetpack will be available for individual sales, but that’s last on the list of potential uses, he said. For now, it’s designed for professionals “rather than somebody with a lot of money or somebody without a lot of common sense,” he said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MJP (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.