jobe watson - is he naive?

1. 18,561 Posts.

I hope he's ok after all this because I'm sure he had no idea what he was doing, or what was being done to him - but surely this is heavy?

Essendon captain Jobe Watson has admitted for the first time that he believes he was administered the banned drug AOD 9604.

Watson said he had signed a consent form last season that included permission to administer AOD 9604, which the World Anti-Doping Authority has deemed to be a banned drug.

"My understanding after it being given through [club doctor] Bruce Reid and the club is that I was receiving AOD, yes," Watson said on Fox Footy's On The Couch.

He said he believed the substance to be legal at the time, but confirmed: "it was what I was told I was being given".
    Advertisement

Watson said the supplements program, under the supervision of controversial scientist Stephen Dank, had been a "new frontier for us".

"The experience of having that many injections was not something I had experienced in AFL football before," he said.

Watson said he was surprised when he discovered in May that WADA had listed AOD 9604 as a banned drug.

"The understanding we had through the advice we got and from the medical doctor at the football club was that it was a legal substance."

The Brownlow medallist said he did not expect Essendon players to be sanctioned. "It's my belief that we have done nothing wrong," he said.

"I don't have a feeling of guilt. All I want is the truth to come out.

"It's not impacting on me. It's not a cloud that's hanging over me. I don't care how long it takes.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i-took-banned-drug-watson-20130624-2ota0.html#ixzz2X8hwfhcv

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.