Joe Hockey flags wider Medicare co-payments exemptions after talks with Clive Palmer

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Joe Hockey flags wider Medicare co-payments exemptions after talks with Clive Palmer

By political reporter Anna Henderson, staff
    Updated 8 minutes agoWed 13 Aug 2014, 8:31am
    PHOTO: Joe Hockey says the Government is prepared to discuss wider exemptions to the Medicare co-payment.(AAP: Alan Porritt)
    RELATED STORY: Dutton flags compromise deal on Medicare co-payment
    RELATED STORY: Hockey pushes ahead with GP co-payment plan
    RELATED STORY: Government seeks to privatise Medicare processing
    MAP: Australia
    Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey says the Government is prepared to consider wider exemptions to the Medicare co-payment, after he met with crossbench powerbroker Clive Palmer in Brisbane last night.
    Mr Hockey is using the mid-winter parliamentary break to hold talks with key crossbenchers as he tries to muster support for controversial budget measures.
    The Government cannot get enough support for billions in savings measures, including its plan for the $7 GP co-payment.
    Yesterday Health Minister Peter Dutton revealed the Government was considering exempting the elderly from the Medicare co-payment proposal.
    Speaking this morning, Mr Hockey said further exemptions to the co-payment were being considered.
    "We are prepared to discuss these things," he told 612 ABC Brisbane.
    "They (the crossbenchers) are very decent people, I think they've got good intentions.

"I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't care about the country, doesn't care about the community.
    "My job is to help them understand the challenges ... to give them the opportunity to speak to the Treasury officials that I speak to.
    "Once they see that and once they get those briefings, then they can see how important it is to support certain measures in the budget.
    "Now they might have variations on those measures and we're prepared to deal with the reality."
    Mr Palmer says even if some wider exemptions were given, the co-payment will still hit a large group within the Australian community.
    "We need to see the hard policy but I don't think we can stand by and let our pensioners and vulnerable people be attacked by this policy," he told Radio National.
    "It's not just pensioners [but] low-income employees, people with families."
    Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen is warning Labor is not open to negotiating on the policy.
    "There is no compromise on the GP co-payment," he said.
    Mr Hockey is now expected to meet with PUP Senator Dio Wang.
    More to follow.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...nt-prepared-consider-wider-exemptions/5667156

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.