QAN 0.49% $6.06 qantas airways limited

joyce grounds qantas flights immediately, page-30

1. 1,957 Posts.
    Re: Grounding the airline. What is the solution? I'm not accepting or rejecting A.J's decision yet, but if it is wrong, what was the correct thing to do. Negotiate? I'm quite sure that has been attempted. At the end of the day the business has to make commercial sense to justify the investment. If AJ just gives in to the unions then the company becomes unprofitable and risks going broke. End result. No jobs for existing staff. Shareholders lose a fortune. What good is that to anyone, except for competing airlines. If he is projecting forward in his thinking and seeing where the inevitable point that this action is leading to, he might actually be saving Qantas while there is still something to save, even if it doesnt appear that way right now. I do not agree with him taking the extra renumeration. He would earn a lot more respect from many IMO if he didnt accept that until such time as thecompany was out of trouble. Just shows arrogance I think. I agree to ensure a fair working environment but not at the expense of peoples livelihoods. Workers mortgages and living costs need to be paid. Both AJ and the union bosses have that covered regardless of the outcome here. Neither side will front up a pay ex-workers bills as their worls collapses around their ears. I wonder how much support the workers will have for the unions once they cant pay their mortgages and financial pressure strikes them and their families. The whole thing is a shame. Just my non expert view.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.06
Change
-0.030(0.49%)
Mkt cap ! $9.874B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.08 $6.13 $6.03 $36.94M 6.090M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 64244 $6.06

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.07 17434 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 24/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QAN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.