things hotting up in new england,just hope barnaby flogs this...

1. 6,764 Posts.
    things hotting up in new england,just hope barnaby flogs this flea
    ----------------
    Political rivals Barnaby Joyce and Tony Windsor were involved in a verbal stoush yesterday after the Nationals senator used parliamentary privilege to make allegations about the sale of Mr Windsor's property to a coal company.

Senator Joyce raised questions in the Senate on Tuesday about the 2010 sale of the independent MP's family land to Werris Creek, a subsidiary of Whitehaven Coal, for $4.625 million.

He then linked the sale to the then NSW mineral and forest resources minister Ian Macdonald, who is currently before the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

"Minister Macdonald was the minister in NSW when Mr Windsor sold his place for a very good price; for a very good price," Senator Joyce told the Senate.

"How do you manage to get such a good price for your place? I do not know. Do you know? How do you?

"I would like to sell my place for three times the price. It is such a great trick."

The Queensland senator made the comments during debate about the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment Bill 2013, which Mr Windsor helped instigate.

"It is interesting that one of its grand architects, because they are concerned about coal and coal seam gas, is none other than the independent member for New England, Mr Windsor," he said.

Yesterday, Mr Windsor approached Senator Joyce in Parliament House and challenged him to make the same comments outside the chamber.

"I said why don't you say that stuff outside the House, show a bit of courage," Mr Windsor said.

"I take offence at it for a number of reasons, the land we sold was my family land, my father happened to be killed on that land and it's fairly important to me.

"I took the opportunity to let him know that I wasn't happy, if he wants to play that game there's plenty of spare change to play it with."

Senator Joyce said it was a throw- away line and accused Mr Windsor of being overly sensitive.

The high-profile MPs are both contesting the NSW seat of New England after Senator Joyce announced plans to run for the Lower House.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.