LYC 1.15% $7.71 lynas rare earths limited

jpm upgraded its target from $2.71 to $2.79. , page-6

1. 1,176 Posts.
    omg wrote:The delay in Lynas shows difficulty and hurdle that ALL RARE EARTH COMPANIES WILL NEED TO OVERCOME to become a rare earth producer. So what Lynas is experiencing RIGHT NOW Molycorp will face in 5 years time (MCP will never meet 2013) and so do all other rare earth starts up.

I agree OMG. But Moly has an additional worry. If the Soviet era Silmet or the currently functioning old processor were to have an environmental problem Phoenix would die. I say this because Molycorp already has a poor prior safety record. A current issue would put Moly in court with the US Environmental Protection Agency and the California Greenies that would take years to resolve.

Many here have suggested the NY Times is carrying Moly's water for them. Not a chance. The paper has a long history of supporting the Greens. It targeted Lynas because it was near production. And yes the timing of the last hack job was also no accident.

But the NYT will target Moly when the paper thinks it is the right time for the Greens to rally. It's how they press their agenda. And they are motivated and good at it. And they will do it to Moly too. If Moly has an environmental issue they will bounce like an angry tiger. And if Moly does things perfectly, they will still attack them like they did in our case, when Phoenix is near. And recycling will not deter them like Moly thinks. They are anti-growth and NIMBY to the core. It is in fact the heart of the gray lady as she is known here. And she is a very strong woman indeed. And as we know now, facts and truth are no obstacle to the gray lady's ire.

And I must correct Dorski's WMD claims. The paper is far left. They never believed the WMD claims and orchestrated a series of stories that exposed the issue very nicely. I am not a political guy in either direction. But as a lawyer I can tell you the NYT knows how to make its case.

And NYT is generally an advocate first and a journalist second. I like and dislike them on different issues. But they know how to express themselves. Even if they were unprofessional and dishonest in the Lynas case (I don't respect the dishonesty here), you must admit they played a very weak (in fact a bogus) hand into a sizable impact.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.