IPL 0.52% $2.87 incitec pivot limited

Julia Creek derailment

1. 5,452 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1346
    IPL moves 1m+ tonnes of H2SO4 and 1m+ tons of DAP per year along that rail line.

In comments on macrobusiness' links page today:

nyleta:

I don’t think that the vulnerability of IPL’s Phosphate Hill operations from things like the latest acid train de-railment is fully appreciated .
    http://www.copyright link/business/...rain-derailment-in-queensland-20151228-glvooo

QR has been neglecting this line for a while, (which is close to capacity), no way with the rain event such trains should have gone over this section (a known trouble spot in the wet season) without an inspection first. No doubt the commercial risk is now with Aurizon. God help them in an old-fashioned wet season.

https://www.aurizon.com.au/Downloads/Aurizon Mount Isa Rail Corridor.pdf

If the copper smelter at Mt Isa doesn't survive a lot more Sulphuric Acid or Sulphur will have to be railed from Townsville in the future (Decant project won’t cut it). The loss of acid wagons and acid supply as well as product shipment to Townsville will be a blow to Phosphate Hill now. I think the Qld government are delaying this project until IPL pay for it.
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/T/Townsville-Eastern-Access-Rail-Corridor.aspx

AND

Wiley Wolf:

Correct, looks to me from the images the crossing at Horse Creek was either washed out or in the progress of being washed out as the train approached in daylight. As you say Hazardous cargo, known trouble spot, the line operator asleep at the wheel, and now we have a major event.

That line will be closed for upward of 3 months. which means essential materials, cement, can not be delivered to Isa and PH, nor product for export railed out.

This was a known disaster waiting to occur.

This is why that section of QR’s track is on the market.

QR is equally at fault as the operator of the Samarco mine tailings disaster.

Though it looks like not much acid has been spilt. That 800,000 litres will have to be decanted and road hauled to PH. Big job, out in the bush. Good time to own a pub at Julia creek.

You may as well say the whole of the North West is shut down till Easter as the investigation will uncover a myriad of problems with that line.

Heads on sticks for the management of QR is required.

Ash here.

This is a serious set-back for IPL. PH is a major and profitable part of operations.  Interrupting acid supply and fertiliser export for 3 months is an ugly thought.

No announcement from IPL on the cost and consequences of the derailment.  They are probably busy working put what to do.

DYOR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IPL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.87
Change
-0.015(0.52%)
Mkt cap ! $5.564B
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.90 $2.90 $2.86 $2.200M 767.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
69 124097 $2.86

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.87 46693 40
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.33pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
IPL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.