I have ADHD, I'm 53 and only recently diagnosed. I'm fine with...

1. 118 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    I have ADHD, I'm 53 and only recently diagnosed.

I'm fine with it. Always been weird but friends accept that now. I have a pretty low IQ but an exceptionally high EQ. Failed every school exam I took despite my family being highly achademic.

Very dysfunctional childhood.

An alcoholic but been in recovery for almost two years.

Keeping down a job has sometimes been difficult. I've been a pig farmer, door to door salesman, worked on a drainage gang, washed cars.

It's not all bad, I did land a job stacking shelves for a hardware company. I did ok, got head hunted by a recruitment company by mistake (they thought I was someone else) and managed to land a job with a massive American company. Stayed 12 years, ended getting several promotions and finished my career with them as the commercial manager of their Irish operation. Eventually got made redundant in a management shake up. Spiralled out of control, drink, drugs. Almost put in a looney bin but talked my way out of it.

Hyper focussed on learning macro economics. Made good coin on the CSX years before it was fashionable.
    Saw the GFC coming two years before it hit, sold every investment I had and piled into gold and silver bullion. Went a bit do-lally, had a basement full of rice and water waiting for the end of the world and Weimar style hyperinflation. I had over $200k of krugers in my sock drawer at one stage.

Wife called it a day, said I was just too weird. Ho hum. Half the children stayed with me so I couldn't have been that bad. Sold all the bullion to buy my wife out of the house.

Now working in Oz in a middle management role in a small €100m family owned German business. I'm winging it really, just waiting for them to find out I'm a baked idiot. Im getting results though.

Can't do analysis of stocks. Got no patience. I just make a few dollars and take spiritual guidance on where to put it. Break every rule in the book. Way overweight in DYE, now GSL, but I can wait ten years for that to come good.

Only got another two years to go and I'll have paid off the mortgage (for the second time) and folk won't see me for dust. I'm never going near another corporate job for the rest of my days.

Sometimes I love the ADHD thing. Sometimes it's a curse.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.