What is "boil in the bag" about? Highlights are mine.Alkaline...

1. 27,122 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    What is "boil in the bag" about?
    Highlights are mine.
    Alkaline hydrolysis (body disposal)
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Alkaline hydrolysis disposal system at the Biosecurity Research Institute inside of Pat Roberts Hall at Kansas State UniversityAlkaline hydrolysis (also called biocremation, resomation,[1][2] flameless cremation,[3] aquamation[4] or water cremation[5]) is a process for the disposal of human and pet remains using lye and heat, and is an alternative to burial or cremation.
    Process[edit]
    The process is based on alkaline hydrolysis: the body is placed in a pressure vessel that is then filled with a mixture of water and potassium hydroxide, and heated to a temperature around 160 °C (320 °F), but at an elevated pressure, which prevents boiling. Instead, the body is effectively broken down into its chemical components, which takes approximately four to six hours.
    ---
    The result is a quantity of green-brown tinted liquid (containing amino acids, peptides, sugars and salts) and soft, porous white bone remains (calcium phosphate) easily crushed in the hand (although a cremulator is more commonly used) to form a white-colored dust. The "ash" can then be returned to the next of kin of the deceased.The liquid is disposed of either through the sanitary sewer system, or through some other method, including use in a garden or green space.[8] To dispose of 1,000 pounds (450 kg), approximately 60–240 US gallons (230–910 L; 50–200 imp gal) of water are used, resulting in 120–300 US gallons (450–1,140 L; 100–250 imp gal) of effluent, which carries a dried weight of 20 pounds (9.1 kg) (approximately 2% of original weight).[7]

This alkaline hydrolysis process has been championed by a number of ecological campaigning groups,[9] for using 90 kWh of electricity,[10] one-quarter the energy of flame-based cremation, and producing less carbon dioxide and pollutants.[1][5] It is being presented as an alternative option at some British crematorium sites.[11] As of August 2007, about 1,000 people had chosen this method for the disposal of their remains in the United States.[12] The operating cost of materials, maintenance, and labor associated with the disposal of 2,000 pounds (910 kg) of remains was estimated at $116.40,[7] excluding the capital investment cost of equipment.
    ---
    The advantages for me are:
    The resources - the chemicals from which our bodies are built - are not lost through burning or burial in a confined space - but are made easily available, and hence treat the deceased with more dignity.
    ---
    I don't know of any downsides.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.