CGB 0.00% 2.1¢ cann global limited

Hi Ikappo, you're right about hemp growing like a weed in some...

1. 1,220 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 637
    Hi Ikappo, you're right about hemp growing like a weed in some environments, but there are some parameters for growing a successful commercial crop. Irrigation or good rainfall is required for the first week after planting to ensure germination, then moderate rainfall or light irrigation for about 8 weeks. Hemp will grow well in places where grain crops grow successfully, as they like similar soil types and climate. The plants will not tolerate frost or excessive humidity, or wet feet. Application of fertiliser is generally required for maximum growth and seed production.

But the most critical factor for seed production appears to be day length. There is a considerable amount of information available on hemp growing, both in Australia and overseas, especially in Europe. Although the seasons are reversed in the Northern Hemisphere, the growing techniques are pretty much identical.

Although suggested ideal planting times vary in some of the information, the overall objective for a successful seed crop appears to be to plant when day lengths are shortening. In my early research notes on hemp growing, I made an entry which said "For successful commercial seed production, plant between 1st week January and 1st week May. Planting earlier or later than these dates can result in the plants bolting and growing into 5m high skinny biomass plants, rather than short 2m stocky seed-producing plants". I can't recall where I found that information, but I presume that it relates to Australia.

From the QBL announcement on 27th December 2017, it would appear that they planted one crop on 22nd November and another crop on 13th December. If that is correct, and if the 'do not plant before 1st week January' is correct, it is likely that the crops which they planted, especially the first one, would have bolted and grown into tall industrial biomass plants, rather than short seed-producing plants.

I'm no expert on hemp growing, and I've never been involved in broad acre farming, but I had a horticulture business for six years, and I do know that day length can be critical for some plants. It would seem that in an ideal climate and with good agricultural practices, it is possible to grow two seed producing hemp crops and one industrial biomass crop each year on the same land, with a very short fallow period between each crop. The ideal times to plant the two seed crops would appear to be first week January and first week May if re-using the same land, or first week January and first week April if separate growing areas are available.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CGB (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.