just witnessed a brutal attck on a train, page-54

1. 2,463 Posts.
    Good man Macrae

Years ago I thought people failed to intervene in a crisis because they didnt care, but after 30 years on the road as an ambo I have changed that opinion.

Unfotunatley there are a small few who don't give a rats and indeed some sickos take sick pleasure from the misery of others. A similar small number analyse (even over analyse) the potential consequenses and stay out coz it may endanger them mortally or legally (and in this lawyers have a lot to answer for_ - but for most - its just so foreign to them they dont know what to do.

We live in a safe society where things like that are not supposed to happen and if they do - its only on the news.

Most of us live in pretty much a sterile environment where those things only happen on TV. So when it does happens - in real life - its sureal.

They just don;t know what to do. They watch it night after night on TV and dont have to do anything coz the TV script fixes it up and brings a conclusion - so when its live in front of them they are just stuffed coz there is no script to fix it up - they are confronting reality and there's no script.

Thankfully there is usually one in the crowd who has not led such a sterile life - not been wrapped in cotton wool from birth - and he or she sees it for what it is and acts.

You are one of a small number Macrea - so full marks to you

I can't cite studies to back up what I say - all I can say is my opinion changed over a number of years.

As a side note - I have also found even tho they stand there gobsmacked and inactive - if after arrival we need help - most respond very promptly to a request for help - provided clear instruction is given with the request - that's what leads me to think they are just stuck waiting for somone to write the script for the screenplay

So full marks to you Macrae - there was no scipt - so you stepped in and wrote one. Good onya

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.