The worrying thing about many US conservatives (especially the...

1. 9,853 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    The worrying thing about many US conservatives (especially the religious ones) is they don't seem to accept their views are only held by a minority, and believe they should be forced on everyone regardless because they are "morally right", i.e. banning abortion or removing the social welfare safety net.

For my part, I'd opt for a few % higher government tax n'spend /GDP, but unless a majority of Aussies agreed, I wouldn't want to force it on them. But US conservatives ignore or just don't care about the majority agreeing with them part. It's immaterial to them because they are God-given and right. We have some of the same types here on HC but thankfully they're a more fringe minority and have less (though still outsized) power over Australian politics.

Which brings me to SCOTUS. Conservatives want a court that essentially bans abortion nationwide, even though a clear majority of Americans agree with the right to have an abortion. Even with my very low expectations of them, I'd expect those conservatives with a modicum of self-awareness to realise this is simply not going to fly in the long run - you can't have an un-elected body dictating minority views to the clear majority in a democracy. People will reject it and rightly so.

To his credit, Chief Justice John Roberts seems to have realised this since he became the swing vote and has moderated his views accordingly so that SCOTUS is not yet seen as an illegitimate house of hard-Right God cultists ruling over the peasants by fiat. However there's less evidence the other conservative justices grasp that (or care), and I very much doubt whichever nutbag Trump is about to nominate will either.

Should they win all three branches of government, the Democrats will feel a crushing pressure to respond to the slow-moving coup the Republicans have perpetrated on the US polity.
    Last edited by sparassid: 20/09/20

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.