I agree with what you say to a point about the world environment...

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    I agree with what you say to a point about the world environment and birth control but how come when the population was much less a couple of centuries or more ago we had ongoing wars and tribal enemity. Should have been much more sustainable then due to small populations but the reality was the masses living in poverty, famine and oppression most of the time. Im glad to be in the current era and in a country of plenty.

I have great faith in the ingenuity of humans and though disappointed when some humans go off the rails there are more than enough decent,positive and brilliant people to offset the not so good ones. We live on Earth but are part of a solar system of planets and that solar system is part of what appears to be an infinite universe. We are already pioneering outer space and the universe is there to be explored and used to support life. We may even one day find we are not alone in the universe and will face other challenges in dealing with other life forms.

I guess in Henrys case it depends on his definition of sustainability. If he believes that Australians should not be encroaching on the natural environment further then he may be right. Somehow I think his 15mill quote is a throwaway line to have people reflect on the need to act on degradation of the environment. More people may also mean a lesser standard of living.

Just my thoughts and I may not be on the right track with these complex issues.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.