a few extracts below from an essay published Saturday in The...

1. 9,456 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 522
    a few extracts below from an essay published Saturday in The Issue penned by big-picture writer and macro economist Umair Haque. The essay is titled The Kamala Vibe Shift.

UMAIR HAQUE:

"America’s Euphoria Over Kamala"

"It's been quite a week. And the word I’d use to describe them is: euphoric. The Democratic side rallied around it’s new nominee, Kamala Harris, in a stunning and historic way. And even now, the sense of euphoria’s palpable, a wave of enthusiasm and energy cresting in tweets, posts, TikTok videos, and much, much more."

"What strikes me is what a stark contrast it is to the other side’s.

"There’s Kamala, now famously…laughing. There’s Trump, scowling, glowering, shouting, screaming. There’s his side, belligerent, aggressive, abusive. Their goal is to intimidate. What’s the goal of Kamala Energy? To uplift, to make possible, to make it all feel OK. To say, without saying a word, that we can do this.

"Higher Levels of Strength, or How to Defeat Fascism"

"So Strong in empathic, creative, emotional, nurturing, joyous, and supportive ways. Jung would paint all those as aspects of the eternal feminine, and these days, I suppose, at times, it’s fashionable to disagree, but we’re just putting traits into categories, again, not saying all-women-are-like this or men-are-like-that.

"Strong in all those ways is stronger than “strong” in others: abusiveness, aggression, hostility, intimidation, the emotional bandwidth of a victim seeking to become a dominator.

"Those kinds of strength are brittle. They don’t go very deep, and they don’t do much for us, in the end. They get us no closer to maturity, grace, wisdom, truth, beauty, or goodness. They diminish and reduce us, which is why Trumpism has led even its own flock nowhere. They belittle the best in us, and so that kind of strength is an illusion, even if its one which by now, centuries of patriarchy and empire still often portray as the only kind of strength.

"But there is another, stronger, deeper, truer strength.

"And I think that is what this euphoria about Kamala is really about. It’s about the fact that we are now beginning to transcend to a different, higher level of energy. And I know to some that’ll sound kind of dubious, but I’ve tried to put it for you formally: we’re transcending the diminished, brittle, brutal strength of the strongman, which, in the end, is feeble, and shifting to the higher level of strength of the figure who laughs, hugs us, teaches us it’ll all be OK, and in that sense, lends us all true strength.

"True strength. What is it? Moral strength. Solidarity. Lifting one another up in tough times. Standing shoulder to shoulder. Being willing to do our duty for democracy, which is greater than any of us. Those are nurturing acts. Acts of care.

"Perhaps it’s no coincidence, to link all this back to anodyne policy, that Kamala’s platform is about a “caring economy.” See the link there?

"I think that it’s ironic, and now I’ll say something controversial, that in Jungian terms? I’d say Kamala’s a shining example of The Mother. That’s her energy, and it’s ironic because she doesn’t have biological kids, which is the right’s attack line, but none of us should stand in judgment over another’s pain and truth like that.

"Trump’s energy, the strongman’s energy? It’s not the Father. It’s more the Trickster. The Aggressor. The Dictator. Twisted in hatred, preaching victimhood, demanding loyalty, seeking vengeance. That’s a lower level than Mother-Father energy, which is why I say: we’re shifting to a new, higher level of energy here and now.

"That’s what the euphoria’s about. That’s why it feels like a “vibe shift.”

"We don’t often shift levels in energy and consciousness these days, except downwards, in a world as broken and lost as ours.

"So let us take a moment to celebrate all this, because this? This is the kind of energy that defeats fascism, proceeding from a higher universal level of love, goodness, truth, and beauty."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.