MSC 0.00% 6.4¢ minerals corporation limited

Did a bit of research on Kaolin this morning thanks to...

1. 549 Posts.
    Did a bit of research on Kaolin this morning thanks to google.

World production
    Data on the world production of kaolin vary considerably; In spite of this an estimate of world production since 1984 is in the range of 20 mill. tons per year. In 1990 it reached its peak of 27,760 kt. After a fall lasting till 1993 (20 960 kt) world production of kaolin has been on the increase. The major producing countries are as follows (according to the Welt-Bergbau-Daten):
    Main producers (1998):
    USA 36.9 %
    Great Britain 9.8 %
    Germany 7.4 %
    Russia 6.2 %
    Brazil 5.3 %
    China 4.0 %
    Iran 3.5 %
    Colombia 3.3 %
    Czech Rep.. 3.2 %
    India 2.2 %

Then there was this Headline:

Monday November 17, 6:05 PM

Imerys Announces Price Increase for Paper Grade Kaolin and Calcium Carbonate Products

Atlanta, United States, Monday, November 17, 2003 -- (business2media) -- The Imerys Pigments for Paper business group announced price increases on all paper grade kaolins and paper grade calcium carbonate products. Price increases are effective January 1, 2004 with an average increase of 3% to 8% depending on product grade.
    (Imerys is the world's leading producer of white pigments, manufacturing kaolin, ground calcium carbonate (GCC) and precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) at 60 plants in 17 countries.)

Then further back in the news was this:

IMERYS to Raise Prices of Paper Grade Kaolin and Calcium Carbonate Products

ATLANTA, GA, December 10th, 2002...

IMERYS Pigments and Additives announced price increases today on all paper grade kaolins and calcium carbonate products. Prices will increase by an average of 2% to 7% effective January 1, 2003.

TWO PRICE RISES IN TWO YEARS !!

There was a lot of other info on Brazilian output on the increase, and carbonates replacing kalin in some applications, BUT the part that impressed me was the geographical locations of the resource.
    ie. mainly in USA & Europe.

China is the upcoming market place, billions of people, hugely growing industry, all needing paper. Since kaolin is a relatively cheap resource, a main factor in price is shipping.

Maybe thats why the folk down at Minerals Corp Sarkin River are so excited. China is just across the equator to us. With this in mind I had a look at Minerals Corp share register and surprise, surprise, I noted heaps of Asian names. Coincidence??? I don't think so.
    MSC, I've got heaps (but I may buy somemore) Next year could be rewarding.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.